The importance of Aadhar in today’s life cannot be undermined. While the PAN card was used for all digital and online transaction, income tax filings and official correspondence, this has now shifted to the Aadhar Card. The articles explains in detail – How to link Aadhar with Mobile Number, PAN, Bank Account, UAN, LIC, Demat Account, Mutual Funds, Insurance Policy,Post Office Schemes and Government subsidies.
The Aadhar card has replaced the PAN in all aspects. Right from your daily needs, such as getting a credit card or a new SIM, the Aadhar is required in our daily life. The Aadhar number has been issued by the Government of India and there has been enormous advocacy for its adoption. The Aadhar also links the person’s retina scan, fingerprint etc. to form a complete database. Every transaction today requires verification through the Aadhar OTP.
What is the Aadhar OTP?
The Aadhar OTP is generated through the registered Aadhar mobile number that was initially provided to the government authorities.
What happens when the Aadhar OTP cannot be generated?
In most cases, the Aadhar OTP cannot be generated due to the Aadhar number not being linked to the correct mobile number. This is most likely due to the user having changed his mobile number, lost the old SIM etc. This requires the Aadhar card number to be linked to the correct mobile number.
How to link Aadhar card to the correct mobile number?
It is important to note that Aadhar linking is not required if the person getting the new mobile connection generates this through something called the eKYC or eKnow Your Customer. This means his details are validated through the Aadhar card. Most telecom companies also provide four different methods to complete the Aadhar and SIM linking. One of the most often used methods is linking Aadhar through the OTO or One Time Password. The steps to be followed for the same are as follows,
- Visit the telecom subscriber’s online portal.
- You should enter the mobile number that is to be Aadhaar linked.
- The telecom provider will then send an OTP to the mobile number.
- You should enter the OTP and click on “Submit” to proceed further.
- A consent message will be displayed on the screen. Enter the 12-digit Aadhaar number carefully that is to be linked.
- The telecom company then sends a request to UIDAI for OTP generation.
- You will receive a consent message from UIDAI about the e-KYC details. Check those thoroughly.
- Accept all the terms and conditions and enter the OTP.
- On completing this, you will receive a confirmation message about your Aadhaar and phone number re-verification.
How to Link Aadhar with PAN
There are also situations where the Aadhar has to be linked with the PAN card of the user. A PAN is a 10 digit number given to users by the Income Tax Department and was once the most important identifier for tax return filing purposes. This has now been replaced by the Aadhar Card. The linking of Aadhar and PAN is critical. In order to link the PAN and the Aadhar, the following has to be done,
- SendSMS to 567678 or 56161 in following format:
- UIDPAN<12 digit Aadhaar><10 digit PAN>
- Example: UIDPAN 3421342112341234 AGDGDGDGDK
There are various advertisements in newspapers on how this can be linked more effectively and the importance of linking. There is also further information available on the Income Tax Department website. The individual will receive an OTP through the registered mobile number. It is also mandatory for both Aadhar and PAN to be mentioned on all legal filings.
The procedure for linking Aadhar and PAN through the Income Tax website is as follows,
- The user should log in to the portal with their PAN, date of birth and password.
- Once the user logs in, the website will prompt the person to link their Aadhar and PAN.
- Details such as the name, date of birth, user identity etc should be provided to help the website ensure the identity is verified.
- Once the details are verified, the user should click Link, and there will be confirmation that this has been linked.
How to link Aadhar card to bank account number
The user should ensure all their bank accounts are linked to their Aadhar card numbers. This can be done in two ways,
- Through Mobile Banking – The user can access their mobile banking application to ensure they specify the Aadhar details and link this to their bank accounts. Once this is linked, the bank will confirm through a separate mail.
- Through the website – The user has to login with their username and password and login to their website. Once this is done, they can access the options on the website to ensure they are able to link their Aadhar with their bank account.
How to link Aadhar card to Mutual Funds accounts
One way to link the Aadhar to the mutual fund accounts is through the individual AMC (Asset management Company) website. The user can also link their mutual fund portfolios through the NSDL eCAS website where all the portfolios will be visible PAN-wise. It is critical the user links all the mutual fund portfolios to their Aadhar card. The user can also check their Aadhar updation status on KARVY. This is linked to the users PAN and can be accessed by entering the PAN on the KARVY website. It is important to note that customer initiated transactions will be banned if Aadhar is not linked with the individual mutual fund portfolios. This has since been debunked by the Supreme Court.
How to link Aadhar with LIC or Insurance Policies
There are two types of users as far as LIC or insurance policies online are concerned. These are registered and unregistered users. A registered user is one who is registered on the insurance website, while non registered users are not. Registered users of LIC can link their Aadhar through the online method while non registered users can do the same through the offline method. In the online method, the insured can login to their portal using the insurance number. In the offline method, the non registered user can go to their nearest branch and link their Aadhar with insurance.
How to link Aadhar with UAN
The Aadhar has to be linked to the UAN website for enjoying benefits such as taking a loan on EPF contributions, or even withdrawing EPF contributions. This is a simple process, and can be done as follows,
- Go to the EPF website and choose to link Aadhar with UAN.
- In the below screen, enter the details and choose to link with OTP.
- You will get an OTP with which you can confirm the linking.
How to link Demat account with Aadhar
The linking of demat account with Aadhar is only possible through a manual method. The demat aadhar linking form can be downloaded from the respective demat websites. Once this is filled up, this has to be submitted at the nearest branch along with a copy of Aadhar and related self attested documents. Once this is verified, the branch officer will check and confirm the linking to the demat holder.
How to link Aadhar with post office deposits and NSC accounts
There are two methods to link Aadhar with your post office deposits. The offline method is very similar to the linking of demat accounts. The user has to download these forms, and submit with Aadhar card proof at the nearest post office. The online method involves paying these invoices through net banking. The user has to login through their net banking facility and process the Aadhar linking online.
How to link Aadhar card for government subsidies
Linking the Aadhar card is essential to get government subsidies like gas refunds. One important fact to be remembered is, the person who links his Aadhar should be the person whos name is in the gas connection. It is also critical that the person linking the Aadhar card should have a bank account with Aadhar linked to the same. The steps to be followed for linking are as below,
- Application Forms – The first step should be to get the application forms for linking the Aadhar to the gas connection. You can get it from the individual gas companies.
- Link your bank account to Aadhar card – If the bank account has already not been linked to the Aadhar card, the user has to first do this to ensurerefunds on gas connections.
- Get the LPG linked to the Aadhar Card – The user now can get this Aadhar and gas connection linked to each other. This requires an address proof. The address proof can be anything.
- The user can personally hand over his application forms to the distributor personally, or post the application to their office.
From the above, it is essential to understand that linking the Aadhar card to our day to day necessities is critical in today’s world. Linking the Aadhar might be a little difficult to start off with, but is not impossible. We need to patiently link the Aadhar card to the various necessities to enjoy uninterrupted connections.
Recent notifications have mandated the linking of Aadhar though the last date of March 31, 2018 has been debunked by the Supreme Court. The technology around Aadhar cards also needs to be improved. There has to be better security in order to protect the data that governs the Aadhar cards. The government is taking the necessary steps to protect the data. What is the need of the hour is better security and understanding of the people of the country. What could start off as a slow movement in India could result in a major transition.